There is nothing quite so satisfying as picking up a big, melty slice of grilled cheese sandwich and biting into that melt goodness. Especially when it’s low-carb!
¼ cup almond flour (25 g/0.9 oz)
½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 Tbsp light olive oil or extra virgin olive oil (15 ml) pinch of sea salt
1 large egg
Filling: 1 slice cheddar cheese (28 g / 1 oz)
1 slice Swiss cheese (28 g / 1 oz)
Optional variations (use instead of the above filling): 2 Tbsp Red Eye Bacon Jam.
2–3 slices of Brie cheese and a handful of spinach
3-4 oz cooked chicken.
¼ sliced avocado.
1-2 slices Jarlsberg cheese
1–2 slices of Pastrami.
3–4 slices Provolone cheese and 2 slices red onion
01. Place all the bread ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
02. Grease a ramekin, or like me find a bread-shaped storage container. Pour the mixture into the container and shake to distribute evenly.
03. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Turn out and cool on a rack. Note: If you don’t have a microwave, you can use the oven. Preheat to 175 °C/ 350 °F and bake for 12–15 minutes or until cooked through.
04. When cool, cut in half and spread with butter, if desired. Place the cheese slices in the middle and toast for approx. 5 minutes (or try any of our suggested variations).
05. Eat with gusto. Store, wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Net carbs 4.3 g
Protein 25.6 g
Fat 49.4 g
Calories 564 kcal
Total carbs 6.8 g
Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Saturated fat 14.8 g
Sodium 761 mg (33% RDA)
Magnesium 90 mg (23% RDA)
Potassium 276 mg (14% EMR)