A delicious copycat recipe that uses turnips instead of potatoes!
5 small turnips
3 kale leaves
4 cloves garlic
190 g bacon slices (around 6 slices)
1500 ml chicken broth
250 ml heavy cream (almond milk for paleo)
1 tsp salt
5 Tbsp Parmesan Homemade Italian Sausage
200 g ground chicken
200 g ground pork
2 tsp sage
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp chili flakes
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
½ tsp paprika
01. Peel and dice the turnips. Chop the kale into bite-size pieces. Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Slice the bacon into 1 cm slices.
02. In a bowl, add the sausage ingredients and mix well with your hands.
03. In a large pot, cook the bacon rashes on medium heat until nice and crispy. Do not drain the excess oil. Transfer the bacon to the side.
04. In the same pot, add the sausage and cook until browned, 3–5 minutes. Set aside. Again, do not drain the leftover oil.
05. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 3–4 minutes until tender. Add the chicken broth and turnips. Turn the heat to high and put to boil for about 5–7 minutes. The turnips will soften very quickly. Pierce with a fork to check from time to time.
06. Once the turnips are soft, turn the heat down, add the kale and cook until wilted, around a minute. Add the heavy cream, salt and stir. Add the cooked sausages to the pot and stir.
07. The soup is now done. If you think it’s not salty enough, just add a bit more.
08. Serve and sprinkle the crispy bacon and Parmesan over each serving bowl.
Calories from Fat 321
Total Fat 35.68 g
Saturated Fat 13.91 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.17 g
Monounsaturated Fat 13.09 g
Cholesterol 123 mg
Sodium 1472 mg
Potassium 514 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12.36 g
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
Sugars 4.57 g
Protein 22.25 g