This recipe for the Best Low-Carb Tortilla Chips makes a perfect snack for dipping. Best of all, these chips work for low-carb, Atkins, ketogenic, lc/hf, gluten-free, grain free, and Banting diets.
2 cups part-skim grated mozzarella cheese
¾ cup super fine almond flour
½ tsp salt
Optional: ½ teaspoon chili powder
01. Preheat oven to 375º F. Cut 2 pieces of parchment about 20 inches long. Have a rolling pin and 2 cookie sheets available.
02. Prepare a double boiler. A pot partially filled with water with a mixing bowl that fits on top works well for this purpose. Over high heat, bring the water in the pot to a simmer, then turn heat to low.
03. In the bowl part of the double boiler, add the cheese, almond flour, chili powder (if using), and salt. Using caution to not get burned by the steam, place the bowl over the pot of simmering water. I use a silicone mitten to hold the bowl. Stir ingredients constantly.
04. As the cheese melts, the ingredients will start to develop a doughy appearance.
When it starts to hold together in a ball, turn it out onto a piece of parchment paper.
05. While the dough is hot, but not hot enough to burn your hands, knead the dough to completely mix the ingredients.
06. Divide the dough into 2 equal sections.
07. Form one section into a ball and place on a piece of parchment paper. Pat into a rectangular shape, then cover with another piece of parchment. Using the rolling pin, roll into about a 9-inch by 15-inch rectangle. Dough should be fairly thin. You may need to turn the dough and straighten the parchment if it wrinkles. Remove the top piece of parchment and place the bottom piece of parchment containing the dough on a cutting board. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into squares or triangles. Slide the parchment with the triangles onto the cookie sheet. Arrange the triangles of dough so they are at least 1/2 inch away from each other. Set aside.
08. Repeat for the second ball of dough.
09. Place the cookie sheets with the tortilla chips in the oven. Bake for 5–8 minutes or until the centers turn golden brown. Watch them carefully as it is easy to burn them.
10. Remove them from the oven and slide them onto a cooling rack using a spatula.
11. Chips will become crunchier as they cool.
Amount Per 1/4 recipe
Fat 23 g
Carbs 7 g
Fiber 2 g
Protein 21 g
Net Carbs 5 g